My Eyes...

A couple weeks ago my eyeglasses broke out of the blue...so my husband took me to get my eyes checked & some new glasses. During the exam it was discovered that I have cataracts?! My left eye is -425 & my right is -725. UGH!! I'm 49 years old & I have cataracts??? What a shock to me and my family too! I had no idea, I have been having problems with my eyes for the past few years, a couple weeks after getting glasses I can't see as well as I could during the exam. I kept telling myself that the script was off but apparently I have been incorrect. My right eye is the worst and surgery needs to be done on this eye first. My left eye is just showing the signs of cataracts beginning so it also needs to be done at some point. My Doctor has grounded me from driving at dawn & dusk because of how bad my sight has gotten. I never realized how often I want/have to drive at those times??? It has become an inconvenience for me not to be able to drive. My husband works hard 5 days a week & drives all day long, so when he gets home the last thing he wants to do is drive some place. My daughter has extracurricular activities where she needs to be taken to or picked up from at those times of the day??? I never realized it but I need to be able to do my part of driving for them both and this is really putting a damper on us. I NEED to have this cataract surgery! Shockingly the surgery is $2,500.00 PER EYE! Yikes *gasp* but it NEEDS to be done. We were referred to a company that assists in the cost of the surgery if you meet their criteria and are approved by them. At this point we are waiting for them to contact me for an interview to see if we would qualify for assistance. I do not like waiting... tick...tick...tick. We haven't scheduled the cataract surgery yet because I don't have the monies for it so we wait for the approval of this other place before we can schedule the surgery. I am having a hard time seeing because I did not get new eyeglasses, I do have the script eyeglasses from the exam BEFORE the eyeglasses that broke but they seriously are not too much help. I am tired of not being able to see & getting these headaches too! I know I am stressed out because lord knows I don't want to not have the surgery but I don't want to stress out my husband about the costly surgery, also my daughter is very worried about me now since I can't see. My eyes are important to me, I it has been difficult to function normally here at home caring for the animals, the house and my family. Also I love photography & it is hard enough to take photos when you can see... it is next to impossible to do now. I am thankful that I am fortunate enough that my eyes can be fixed as I know there are some people that lose their sight altogether. I am trying not to freak out about it because it can be fixed but it is hard to not be bummed out about trying to get through a day with the way my eyes are now. :( OK... Time to stop with the woes me, pull up my panties & suck it up! Just had to get it out...

2 comments:

Mel said...

I'll be thinking of you Marie! How different is this procedure than having Lasik done? A friend of mine just had it done about three days ago and she is bouncing back like a champ and so happy to see without glasses.

Unknown said...

Mel from what I understand the surgery isn't difficult at all but is nothing like Lasik. The price is way different that is for sure! Both my parents have had the cateract surgery. They do one eye at a time with a month in between the surgeries. What is throwing a wrench into the mix is we do not have any insurance so we are trying to get assistance. This is proving to be a bunch of red tape & time consuming. I am bummed & frustrated about the entire ordeal... :(